Friday, October 11, 2013

Autumn in Vermont

Vermont Rte 7, exit 3 / Arlington

This is what I get to see everyday on my drive home from work.  Yes, I know how lucky I am.

Of course, it's not always this beautiful.  In Winter, the trees are bare and the mountains are a shade of gray brown that makes even me wish for snow.  Anyone that knows me understands how crazy a statement that is.  People that aren't from here often assume that all Vermonters like to ski.  My skiing days were over back in 5th grade when I went down a double black diamond trail (by accident).  Scared out of my mind.  Needless to say, snow is not my favorite, but at least it looks pretty.

Splash of fall colors




Right after a heavy snowfall, I love to gaze outside, admiring the heavenly dust and the way it covers everything in bright white powder.  The trees ache with the weight of the snow on their limbs.  It never ceases to amaze me how powerful Mother Nature can be and all the beautiful things she creates.

Growing up I was never fond of Fall.  I remember it always seemed cold and rainy, giving you that damp feeling that chills you to the bone, even though it's 45 degrees outside.  This year Fall has been much warmer, so maybe I'm literally a fair-weather fan.

Intersection Vermont Routes 7A & 313



Autumn is a season I have only come to appreciate as an adult.  Maybe I took it for granted as a child, or maybe I was preoccupied with more important matters, such as who to invite for a sleepover.  Having traveled to a few other places in America, I now realize that what we experience with the changing colors of the leaves is rare.  Most places do not get to see such wonderous transformation right before their eyes.  Hence why Vermont becomes saturated with tourists during foliage season, and especially on the Columbus Day holiday, which just so happens to be this weekend.  
 

Of course, the transformation is so beautiful precisely because of the cold temperatures we feel at night, which allows the leaves to photosynthesize.  Science was not my best subject, so the technical explanation stops there.  If you're really curious to understand how and why it all works, Google it and let me know what you find out.

My point is that we wouldn't get to experience the brilliant colors of Fall if it wasn't for the impending Winter.   It's the yin & yang of nature.  I guess I'm okay with that.

Arlington Community House | Arlington, VT




Over the past few days, I took these photos in my adopted hometown of Arlington, Vermont.  As I drive past these places every day I am thankful for the gifts I have, and am blessed to be alive to witness such beautiful things.

In your daily travels, I encourage you to take a few moments each day to "stop and smell the roses."
Or, in the case of Autumn, breathe in the fresh cool air, take a walk through the fallen leaves and hear the rustling and crunching under
your feet.  

It awakens my senses every time I do it.

St. James Episcopal Church | Arlington, VT

What's more important than feeling alive?  Than recognizing that some awesome power - whatever it is -  created Earth and all things?  Call it meditation, gratitude, awareness... whatever works for you.  It's the best 5 minutes of my day.

No matter where you live, try it.  What is beautiful about your town?  Is there a special place that you go to feel zen?  Feel free to share in the comments below.

Thanks for reading!
Arlington Rec Park | Arlington, VT



No comments:

Post a Comment