Saturday, October 5, 2013

First Things First

Fall Foliage | Bennington, VT
This is my very first blog post.  Ever.

I was inspired by the ePRO Certification course I took yesterday.  One of the best things they taught was to stop thinking about what to do - and just do it!  (Sorry Nike, I couldn't think of any other way to say it!).  As a Virgo, it's very easy for me to fall into the trap of "analysis paralysis."  So here I am - breaking the habit of overthinking and just getting started.  Welcome to my blog! 

For me, one of the hardest things about being a relatively new real estate professional has been deciding whether I want to generalize (be everything to everyone) or specialize (focus on a particular segment of the market).  In southern Vermont, there's a wide variety of residential properties for sale: single family homes, multi-family buildings, condos, vacation homes, vacant land (to build a home or just enjoy for recreation), horse farms, etc.  Since getting my real estate license in April 2011, I can honestly say that I have listed or sold at least one property in each of these categories.  They've all been good learning experiences, although some more enjoyable than others.  With a bit of experience under my belt, I feel like I'm finally ready to make some educated conclusions about the kind of properties I prefer to market and sell.  Although I may not turn down business in any of these categories, I definitely have found that my passion is Single Family Homes.

So what about buyers, you ask?  I've worked a lot with people thinking of moving here for work, retirement, or to be closer to family.  Many of them never end up buying a home because, for whatever reason, they decided not to move here.  It's tough to put that much time and effort into showing not just homes for sale, but everything the area has to offer, including shopping, restaurants, schools, parks, etc.  (Relevant side note: At Siena, I joined the Ambassadors Club to give tours to prospective students.  Who knew I was training for my future career?).  As much as I enjoy giving guided tours, the reality is that it's time consuming (several hours of planning, plus the actual time spent together in the car can be several hours or even 2-3 days) and expensive (i.e. gas, lunch).  I don't get paid by the hour.  I only get paid when I sell a house.  Don't get me wrong... I love what I do, so it's all good, but there comes a point where practicality (and Dr. Phil) begs the question: "How's that working for you?"

Local Buyers -- whether they're natives like me, or relocated here some time ago -- already know the cultures of different towns in the area, and narrow down their search more quickly.  They know generally where they want to live and need someone to help find the right home.  As an indecisive person myself, I understand wanting to see all possible options, so I have no problem showing every available house in a buyer's price range, but when we're searching all over the county, it's a bit overwhelming because it feels like the search will never end.

And then there's First-Time Home Buyers.  They are my favorite.  They are usually younger, more plugged-in to technology, and often do their own research for a few weeks or months before contacting a professional.  Unfortunately some of them have had experiences with other agents that didn't impress them, and that's where I'm happy to step in and give them what they want.  Being one of the youngest Realtors in town is a competitive advantage, because I'm more relate-able and tech-savvy.  As a Millennial, I have a short attention span and expect immediate response, or I simply move on to the next person that can help me right now.  Is that a desirable trait?  Hmm, maybe not.  But that's the reality.  So when someone reaches out to me for help, I get it.  They don't want a call back tomorrow; they want an email tonight, or at least a text acknowledging that I got their message and will take care of it.  My boss says "There's no such thing as a real estate emergency," which is mostly true, but my generation has high expectations, and I pride myself on doing whatever it takes to get the job done, and done right the first time.  Young buyers have a lot of questions and feel anxious about the whole process, and I thoroughly enjoy walking them through it step-by-step. 

So, in a nutshell, that's an introduction to who I am and who I like to work with.  I've decided that I want to be the local "go-to" real estate expert for my generation.  That's specific enough, right?

My goal is to contribute to this blog once a month.  If you have ideas, comments, or questions about this blog, real estate, or anything else, feel free to post them here, email me directly at jenifer.prouty@gmail.com or find me on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest.
Maple Leaf Realty  (802) 447-3210








Credits: I want to thank my brother, +Nate Prouty, for providing technical assistance and moral support to create this blog, and my boss, +Troy Richardson, for being a great teacher and mentor.  I wouldn't have been able to do this without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment